Happy Trips

Thursday, December 21, 2006

foreign ATM machines

And depending on where you're going, you may be able to get cash from your home bank account using an ATM machine. Some ATM machines in some countries are plugged into Cirrus or another internatioal network. I pay just a $1.50 service charge for getting cash from my own checking account.

In the US I wouldn't pay that short of an emergency, but there's no shortage of ATM machines. But when I'm 12,000 miles away from my bank, $1.50 seems like a bargain.

Of course, sometimes the ATM machines are down.

Also, not all ATM machines will be linked to your US bank. They may just operate within the host country. Do ask at your hotel or a cab driver -- they'll often know where you need to go to get more cash.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home