Happy Trips

Thursday, December 21, 2006

on traveler's checks

Traveler's checks? I stopped using them. First of all, I object to paying 1 - 1/5% of my money to the travel check company right off the top.

Secondly, when I cashed travelers checks at currency exchanges, I was given a lower exchange rate than cash.

Thirdly, most small businesses won't let you pay in traveler's checks. If they know about and can handle them, they'll also take credit/debit cards.

Fourth, hotels have small safes where you can keep the bulk of your money. Your money is pretty safe in airports if you're careful. And pretty safe in taxis from the airport to your hotel if you're careful. And then you should put it right into the hotel safe.

So I figured out that with local crime rates, my biggest risk from carrying a large amount of cash was going from my home to the airport.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home